- Approximately a 2 hour role play that includes phone calls, chats and emails. Leave yourself a little time beyond 2 hours in case it goes slightly over time.
- One of the Guru Builders will be running your Gauntlet. These are individuals experienced in the ways of the Guru, who will also guide you throughout your Gauntlet.
- Your Guru Builder will want to say "hi" and introduce themselves over Skype video chat.
- You will need a phone handy and we recommend using a headset; this way you can talk and search at the same time.
- Resembles what it's like to be a Guru, and what working in Shopify Support is like. You will be acting the role of the Shopify Guru, whereas your Guru Builder will be acting the role of the merchant in each interaction
- Please have a gmail e-mail address handy before your Gauntlet. This will create a seamless interaction during Gauntlet emails. If you do not have this already, you can click here to sign-up for one.
What to Expect:
- You will be asked to respond to questions commonly asked by merchants on a day-to-day basis.
- You will receive a ton of feedback with a chance to revise and incorporate it into your interactions. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and get clarification from your Guru Builder if the feedback was not clear.
- Our merchants trust us and we're a highly engaged team. We're looking for you to show us that you've got Guru in your DNA.
How to prepare:
- Have your headphones handy! You'll be taking calls while searching for information and it's easier to do without a phone in one hand! Also, try to ensure that you’re in a quiet environment with plenty of cellphone and wifi reception to avoid any potential technical hiccups.
Communication is key to being a great Guru. Check out this sample email. One is great and one is really terrible. Can you tell the difference?
- Take a look at your application store, the Shopify Help Center and other resources that you can find on Google to help you become familiar with how to best learn/find information about Shopify.
- Spend some time checking out the Shopify Ecommerce Forums to get an idea of the types of questions you might be asked.
- Make sure you disable any applicable distractions /adblockers on your computer during the Gauntlet. This can lead to interruptions with the Gauntlet and/or conflicts with your browser.
- Make sure you have access to your application store, or create another trial that you can use to prepare for and during the Gauntlet. This provides you with an excellent extra resource, and will play a part in the Gauntlet itself. If you don’t have access to the store you created for the application, please feel free to ask the Talent Acquisition recruiter who you’ve been in contact with and they will be happy to help.
Tips for Success:
- 80% of the Guru role is communicating with merchants over the phone. You'll want to be engaging, informative, succinct, and in control. Your voice, tone, and personality must shine all aspects of communication.
- Keep an eye on Skype at all times! It is your main line of communication with the Guru Builder.
- Make sure you include links to resources in order to make your reply as close to perfect the first time around.
- Proofread! Proofread again!
- Be cautious of your time during the Gauntlet.
- Be yourself. The best conversations are human conversations. Be yourself. The best conversations are human conversations; we love hearing you make conversation with us while you look into things.
- If you need help or clarification, please ask! More communication with the Guru Builder running the Gauntlet is better than none at all!
If you have read all of this, check out this extra page.